Ready for a bit of Midwestern comfort food? My midwestern mom’s recipe for lasagna and a bit of heaven in a casserole dish.
Lasanga was a special occasion meal at my house. Not because it was a complicated recipe, but because it was a family favorite.
It was over a steaming hot plate of this lasagna and some garlic bread that my husband officially fell in love with my mom. As we sat around the table, digging into the gooey lasagna, Jesse started to positively gush.
Mom gave one of those, “this old thing” waves of the hand and dished him out another piece.
I am sure at this point you are wondering what makes this ‘midwestern lasagna’ different from regular old’ lasagna. Especially coming from the land of hot dish (aka Minnesota).
It is cottage cheese!
- 1 lb hamburger
- 3 cans tomato sauce
- 1 pkg spaghetti seasoning
- 1 pkg lasagna noodles
- cottage cheese
- mozzarella cheese
- parmesan cheese
- Fry up that hamburger and drain the fat.
- Pour all three cans of the tomato sauce in a saucepan and mix in the spaghetti seasoning. simmer on low heat to thicken the sauce a bit. The mix your drained hamburger into the tomato sauce.
- Now it's time to layer, baby! Put a tag of sauce on the bottom of your pan (to keep the noodles from sticking), then add the noodles. Ladle some sauce on top of the noodles, then add the cheeses. Repeat with noodles, sauces, and noodles till you use up all of your ingredients.
- Cover the pan with foil and place it in the hot oven. Cook until the cheese is melted and everything is cooked through. This takes around 50 or so minutes.
Like what you read? Pin this post for later!
PS Other than casseroles my mom taught me some other life lessons.